Saturday, June 07, 2008

How Old Are You?

One thing I found weird in Asian country is people would openly ask your age. It was the weirdest and most uncomfortable thing ever if you grew up in the west. It could be a casual conversation over lunch and the other people would ask you your age. It is like the most normal thing to say as "how is the weather today". And they do expect you to give an answer without acknowledge that you feel uncomfortable. I went for a hair cut on Friday (yes, I finally can't stand my super long hair) and the stylist whom I just met asked about my age! I was like...errrr...is there a way I could dodge this question!!! According to my coworker, it is almost a must to ask about age in Cambodia. Since they address each other by their relationship, whether you are a superior, older (!!), teacher, etc. So they have to find out your age to define your relationship with them. Aii. :(

4 comments:

Gary F said...

Interesting.

Just how old are you? =b

ray said...

what are you talking about? I've never got tortured for not answering how old I was when i was in 'ASIA' (not sure why u kept stressing ASIA), but i was surely harassed here in the WEST! tell them in Hex!

Jun said...

I would just smile and ignore, pretending that I didn't hear (or didn't understand :p)

The last time someone asked my age was in the states, in Google! I was entering a Google BBQ event after the conference, and the guy giving me pass at the door asked "what's your birthday?" I felt really strange but unwillingly told him the date. But he pressed for the year. I was shocked and stared at him with mouth opened. Then I found out that he only needed to find out if I can drink legally. He could have asked "are you over 21"! And he was asking a pregnant (mid-aged!) woman that question!! (But Wing laughed really hard. He said I should just tell him "I am pregnant, what can I do?!" *_*")

gwilli said...

DEAD BLOG ALERT!

DO SOMETHING!