Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Cambodian Experience Week 1 & 2 & 3

Someone complained that my blog became too stale. And I don't know how many people still read my blog. Anyway, I didn't post anything for last...5 months because Singapore is just a very very boring place. My life goes from home, to work, then home. Whereas Cambodia is a different story.

First, I started with getting a cultural guide that tell what I need to wear and how to behave and so on and so forth. It is quite entertaining.
1. I am not supposed to wear skirt shorter than knee length. Definitely no short nor sleeveless. And no tight tshirt.
2. Pants are for causal. I should wear blouse (!!) and skirt to work. I own never of those items! Good that I found out dress pant is allowed in my work environment.
3. Never touch the opposite sex. Not even riding a bike trying to hold onto your life. Definitely bad when I always beat up the other team lead :(
4. Don't accept gift from opposite sex because you may enter in a serious relationship. I got half a bowl of instant noodle from the guard the other day and a piece of bread from another guy. I wonder how serious our relationship now is :P

Another interesting the piece of bread that the guy gave me, after I had my first bite, I found that it is full of ants. Living ants crawling madly in my bread. I wasn't very sure I should panic or it is a delicacy. Or should I politely finish eating. I decided to calmly ask the guy and he was quite amazed I wasn't screaming. And apparently my reaction entertained the guys on my team.

I inherited the bike from the team lead that I sit in for. That piece of junk broke twice on me now. While not speaking a word of Khmer, I successfully able to find fix his tires as well as his brake. Since I never saw how a tire was fixed before, I was quite amazed the whole process work. I think the kids in the shop was quite amazed to see a Chinese foreigner too. Cause we kept staring at each other :)

Other than that, nothing much happen. I worked a lot even though feel less stress. With Internet and power down every so and often, you basically have to slow down. Or you are forced to anyway. I successfully not getting myself killed over the weekend. Even though the whole time I sat behind a motorbike thinking I am going to die. The girl here sat sidesaddle on the back of motorbike. Before I came, the other team lead had a discussion whether I could follow the traditional way. I said I never try that before. So I am not sure I will be able to hanging on my life and still sit elegantly like a lady. We gave up on that idea =)

Oh, I also went to grocery shopping on my bike the other day. The supermarket was supposed to be 5 min bike ride. Having absolutely no sense of direction and not having a compass and making several wrong turn, I wasn't very sure where I am anymore. The most scary part is my balance skill isn't great and riding in the Phnom Penh traffic is a bit life threatening experience. At one point I have to ride on the "wrong" side of the road (there is not really right or wrong, it is whatever you like) because I am scared to cross 4 lanes of traffic. In the end, I did make my way by making more wrong turns :P At that point, I gave up the idea of grocery shopping and ate my instant noodle instead. :P

2 comments:

John Wu said...

keep up the good work

gwilli said...

you should NEVER go back to singapore. it has entirely ruined your english. wow. amazing!

way to update your blog, though. yay you!