Friday, June 29, 2007

Suck It Up?!

When you play on a sport team and you got pissed off by your captain, what would you do? Would you just suck it up? Or you would voice your objection and just leave the team after? Here is the story. So my captain decided to add another girl to the team and asked our opinion. At first I said whatever, but then after more discussion, I said that we do have sub if needed and there is no reason to add an extra permanent girl. I thought he heard me, but apparently not. So next week I found out that he did add the girl anyway. I was going to just leave the issue since I played on another team. But my friend said I should at least voice my opinion again and I did. But I got no response from that email. Later, my captain emailed the whole team and said he decided to add another girl. I was kind of annoyed because he should have at least replied my email about my opinion. I think it is politeness, but whatever. And then last night he totally pissed me off. My friend sent him an email to voice her opinion. My captain replied and cc'd me in there. What frustrated me the most is that his whole email keep saying "some people should have mentioned it earlier" and "some people should have done that" when it is obvious that "some people" is referring to ME! Cause I was the only one added to the email and apparently I am the one causing trouble. I was pissed after reading that. I was like dude, if you have problem with me, say it in my face. What sort of freaking email is that! Are we a bunch of high school girls? I was sooo mad last night that I draft up a less sugar coated email and my conclusion was basically if you think I am causing problem, I could leave the team, screw you. But I also know I was really mad last night so I decided to sit on the email for a bit. I don't want to just suck it up. I want to at least say if you have a problem with me, talk to me in my face. Not that BS reference! So I am wondering, should I send the email? talk to him in person? just leave the team?!

3 comments:

ray said...

I'm a big believer of standing up for yourself. If I were you, I would send a relatively polite email clarifying the *misunderstanding*. And I might also request to be a sub, just cuz you've better things(or team to play for) to do.

Unknown said...

Nothing good can come from sending an angry email to the captain. All it can do is make him mad, too. Expressing that you disagree with the decision is fine, but don't make it personal.

From what I've seen, being a team captain is tough. You've got to carefully balance the team size, ensuring that you have enough players that show up while not having so many players that people don't get much field time.

If you aren't happy with the team, wait until the season ends before leaving. Unless you're really unhappy; but recognize that you'll be hurting feelings if you quit midseason.

Trev said...

I've yet to see an angry email that does anything more than make everyone on the list angrier.
(I've seen them backfire on the writer though)

Go ahead and talk to him in person, but don't let it escalate to a fight. You might not be able to control his actions but you always have control of yours.

He may have legitimately lost your email. It doesn't excuse his behaviour, but feeding the fire won't help.