Monday, March 24, 2008

Dying in the Heat

I kept on forgetting what it mean to be hot and humid. The moment I stepped out from Singapore airport, I suddenly remembered why I refuse to go to HK in the summer. My skin was just so sticky that I had to run to shower the moment I arrived at the guest house. Oh yeah, so I finally came to Singapore. The flight here was rather uneventful. I slept, read, slept more and eventually arrived in HK and spent a night at my brother's. The next morning I left for Singapore. Someone from the organization came and picked me up and dropped me off at the guest house. The first surprise, there is no air con in the guest house. I am so not looking forward to how I will die in the heat when the "summer" comes. The second thing, despite everything I packed with me, I forgot the most important thing, the after-bite spray. I forgot how evil and mosquito are in Asia. The moment I arrived, I bet they must have a celebration about fresh blood. I pretty much got eaten alive. The third thing is rain in Asia really mean pouring water. And I didn't realize how much I welcome the rain. Today there was pouring water in the evening. When I walked to the closest mall to grab dinner tonight, my jean were pretty much soaking wet from that 10 min walk. But the weather suddenly become bearable. Last but not least, when you live on a budget, you really think careful how you spend your money. I stood at the coffee aisle in the supermarket for a good 30 minute trying to decide if I should get some coffee mix. I already gave up my beloved Starbucks. But the coffee here was pretty awful and I am not sure I can't stand it for one more day. But I also don't know if I should spend money on coffee. In the end, I bought a S$2.4 instant mix to taste test. May be in the end I was so broke my pickyness on coffee will drop. Aii, my Starbucks :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Viv, it is hailing in Vancouver today....what a contrast! Hope things will get better for you!