Sunday, February 19, 2006

Helpless

I have been hearing a lot of sad news from my friends lately. I kept hearing news about death and sickness. When I heard that, I felt very helpless. I don't know what I could do to help. Of course I would try to comfort my friends. Except those words, I really don't know what else to do. The first thing came to mind that I could offer to help is to pray for them and their family. I would usually keep that in my mind so I would remember to pray next time. But I rarely mention to my friends that I am doing so. I felt a bit awkward to mention it, especially to my non-Christian friends. Sound like I was doing them a favor. And I don't want them to feel that I am imposing my religion to them. But something happen recently and I asked my friends to pray for my family. And I found that knowing my friends are praying for me gave me a sense of comfort. Even my friend who no longer goes to church said would pray for me. I was touched to know that there are people who care about my family even though they never met them. People are willing to pray for people that they don't even know. They gave me strength to stay strong. So I think telling my friends that I would pray for them during their devastated period, though they may not believe God, would show them that I do care too. And hopefully could still give them a sense of comfort.

No comments: