Friday, November 16, 2007

Eight Outer Temples

I spent the next day in Chengde to visit some of the temples in Chengde. It is supposed to be very famous because it is part of the Mountain Resort. I picked only two temples to go because I knew I wouldn't have enough time to go to all eight. I picked the largest one called Puning Temple(普宁寺). Unfortunately, I found it rather disappointing. It has one of the biggest Buddha statue which is two storey tall. But that is about it about the temple. And it cost me RMB60!!! Totally not worth it.


The only thing interesting is they have a "band" outside the main building. Whenever you donate RMB100, they play some music supposed to be wishing you luck. Other than that, it is relatively boring.



The second temple I went to is a resemble of the Potala Temple called Potuozongchenge Temple (普陀宗乘之庙). I found this one more interesting but unfortunately the weather wasn't very nice so I couldn't take a good picture of the place. The main temple has some "lama" to greet people. One of the lama in the temple was telling me he could preform some sort of trick so by looking into my eyes, he could tell my birthday and he and his master are the only two people in China that could do it. Another lama wanted to preform a ritual on me to wish my luck. Somehow that freak me out and I kind of ran out the door while keep saying no. Other than that, the temples are pretty much a rip-off.

No comments: