Monday, November 05, 2007

One World, One Dream

I arrived safely in Beijing and writing this from my hostel room. The flight was pretty uneventful. I was so tired from trying to get everything done for work the night before. I basically work the whole night and some extra time while waiting for boarding. My neighbor on the plane is a guy from Winnipeg going to Zhengzhou. (No, Ray. He is not hot. So keep praying :P) He was an okay neighbor until he decided to be talkative. He almost didn't shut up for the rest of the trip even though I put up the face that I am doing some serious reading (well, I guess you can't say reading "The Devil Who Wear Prada" seriously) I guess one good thing is I get to practice my long-lost super broken Mandarin.

Compared to last year in Vietnam, I am surprised when I walk out the airport, I wasn't surrounded by tons and tons of people asking if I want taxi or ride. In fact I was only approached by two people and once I said no, they leave me alone. Beijing is totally different than how I remember it. It has such a big cities feel now. Very metropolis like. People are different than I remember too. They are really polite and helpful. Compared to several years ago when I went to Shanghai, people actually lined up here. When I went out for dinner last night, I saw one of the traffic controller yelling at one of the biker who tried to run a red light. I am pretty amazed by that. You can actually follow traffic light (and other people do that too!) without worrying getting killed. Last time crossing the traffic was the biggest challenge for me in China. I guess at least in Beijing I won't be killed in car accident this time.

PS. The hostel I am staying is pretty neat. I will try to take some pictures in the morning.

No comments: