Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mountain Resort



After I complained numerous times to my cousin for telling me to bring an extra thick jacket for my trip when Beijing is really just like Vancouver weather, my extra warm down jacket come in pretty handy in Chengde. I spent two days in Chengde to tour around and to be honest, I am quite disappointed the first day in Mountain Resort (避暑山庄). It is supposed to be a royal summer resort several hundreds years ago and it should be even prettier than the summer palace in Beijing. However, since it is fire hazard season, half the resort is closed. A lot of displayed only has Chinese explanation and they don't even have enough light on. Everything is so dark and old. Since it is not exactly travel season for Chengde, I am almost the only tourist in there. I wander around thinking if they closed the gate without checking to see if everyone left, would I be locked inside. However, the garden is extremely pretty. You can see the people put a lot of effort to make sure all the scenery tied together. And then you have to wonder how can people be that rich (I know it is a royal resort) and have so much time. I wish I could retire like that!

No comments: