Saturday, April 28, 2007

TGIF!

I am glad this week is finally over. It was very stressful at work. I finally realize how service company is different than product company. In a product company, when we are behind schedule, we can easily decide what feature to remove to meet the schedule or push the schedule within the company. But with service company, it is not that easy. Customers always want everything to be completed perfectly and on time. And with software, it is almost never the case. So this week, we finally behind schedule and I have to update the customer on the progress. Since the project is very short duration, losing a day mean a lot. And for one component we are a week behind already and the second component we are at least 3 days and counting. You can imagine how tense I am every time going into the meeting with the customers. I am totally freaking out that my head will get chopped off right there and then. And I was relieved every time I walk out alive. Last two days was especially bad cause we are closed to a delivery date but from what we see on the test server, it doesn't seem working at all. That part was done by the Russian team and since we haven't worked together before, we haven't developed trust yet. I don't want to overreact without really understand how much work has done. So last two days I set up a server and test it myself. And I felt so much relieved after seeing most of the stuff are really working. Hopefully next week will get better. This is indeed more stressful than I expected.

No comments: