Thursday, September 01, 2005

Bad Typo!

It was indeed another bad day at work for me. A hotfix was supposed to release Monday and it kept slipping and slipping and finally yesterday QA found out that it didn't install on one of the setup at all. I was so frustrated when I heard that. How could they find this out right before we were going to release? But then, the more urgent thing was to fix up the problem. So I found a quick solution last night and hope that it would work fine this morning. But nope, it still didn't install. Since one of the more annoying customers was waiting on this hotfix, support gave us extra pressure on this. But there was only so fast I could work. Good that support didn't bug me, but went bug my manager (and he was not happy at all getting a call every 15 minutes asking for an update, my update was, I am still working on it!!!) I am not very familiar with that part of code and since we are so lack of documentation, it was even harder for me to work on it. I finally got a solution after lunch. So I immediately told release engineer to do a build (which take another freaking 3 hours) I was keeping my finger crossed that it would work. But, but, strike 3 for me! It still didn't work. I was so mad and was so upset. I didn't understand how it would not work. I clearly checked everything carefully. I couldn't test it because it would take me awhile to set up to test. And I didn't even know how to set up. But I was pretty sure I checked my logic correctly. I so wanted to just leave the mess and never come back. Finally, I found a way to let me test the changes. I started playing around and testing which part of my changes failed. In the end, I found out that the installer couldn't detect what type of installation it is and that is why it failed. But...but...that part of code has been around forever and it SHOULD work. So I started staring at the code and suddenly, something jumped out. Someone had a typo in the code. The way we checked the type of set up the installation was to open up a configuration file and looked for the word "cluster". But the code check if we can find the word "cluser". It is missing a "T"! I couldn't believe no one ever use that part of the code!!! It has been there for ages. I couldn't believe I had such bad luck!!

1 comment:

gwilli said...

yay QA!! good work! go QA!! yeah! whoo hoo!!