Sunday, September 04, 2005

Hurricane

I was away the weekend when Katrina hit New Orlean. I vaguely know the impact was huge and thousands of people died, but somehow, I can't feel anything. I felt so distant about the whole incident. Unlike the tsunami happened in Asia last year, I don't even want to read the news about it. Last time I was watching CNN the whole time to find out more details, but this time, I didn't pay attention much even when it showed on TV. I don't understand why I am so cold hearted. May be because it was US. It was supposed to be economically stable enough to take care of themselves. US was the country who gave billions dollar to Asia last year for tsunami. Why would they need other country's help for some small flood? I talked to some friends and they sort of feel the same way. If it happen in some third world country, we would feel more passionate about the situation, but US, nah. Come to think about it, I don't feel much when I heard about war in Iraq too. I am getting used to people dying over there. I know it is a bad thing but I don't know how to tell myself to feel. I am scared may be one day someone die in front of me and I wouldn't care at all. I wonder would that day ever come.