Sunday, September 04, 2005

Love Is...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

I am sure a lot of us see this passage before. This is probably the most used passage in a wedding. We talked about church unity today at service. And I was reminded of this passage. This year my fellowship's theme is also love. As this year's leader said, it is easy to love people you like, but hard to love people you don't exactly like. I am always confused on this idea. I could retain the socialize friendly politeness with everybody, but do I really have to love everybody. What is love anyway for everybody? If I say I don't dislike some people, or find some people hard to connect, I would be lying. And if I say I care about everybody, I would be lying too. Some people I just rather not have much interaction with, not that I hate the people, but why force myself to socialize. That is something I would have to do at work if I need to work with people I don't like to stay professional. Do I have to do that after work too? I know I should learn to love everybody as it is God's command to love one another. Does it mean I have to really force myself to bond with everyone? Sound like a lot of tiring effort. Can't we just leave it as if I don't hate the person, I "love" the person? Where can I find such passion for everybody? I know I hold my closer friends more dear to my heart. How can I do that for other people?

No comments: