Sunday, October 16, 2005

Airplane

"Fly airplane" is Cantonese slang meaning bailing out on someone. And that is exactly what I did to a friend today. Originally, my friend and I were planning to go to apple festival together today. And after that we would come back to my place to make apple pie (mmm...pie) But I need to pick up birthday present before that since we were meeting the birthday boy that night for dinner. I told my other friends that I would do that last week while they were away but I was sick for 2 days and busy all others. So the pressure is on. I have to get something before dinner or I will for sure be killed on the dinner table. I don't want my head to be presented as birthday present. And I am sure his wife won't like to put that their place very much. Another hard thing is my friend has no hobby at all. We think the only thing he really like is his wife. There were tons of times we want to just wrap her up and give it to him as gift. So shopping for him is definitely a challenge. I don't even know which store to go. I think boring person shouldn't allow to have birthday. Or at the very least, no birthday present allowed to save his friend's brain cells (especially when there is not much to start with already!) In the desperation of finding a birthday present, I have to bail out on my friend. I text messaged her and told her I couldn't make it and wonder if she wanted to go the next day instead. But I haven't heard back from her after that (we were chatting a bit thru text messaging earlier but this was the last message) so I was kind of scared she was pretty upset. I knew my time would be tight to go to apple festival and to bake pie and to go to dinner right after. And I kind of don't want to just pick up some crap for my friend. I haven't heard from her the whole night. I felt a bit uneasy not sure what happen. How pissed was she? I know I probably won't be too happy if I made plan with a friend and she bail out last minute. When I got home, I saw her online. Apparently she went to the apple festival by herself. She sounded fine and she did pick up something. She just was going to text message me from the festival but didn't send it. I felt a bit relieved. I know I let my imagination blow thing out of proportion again. But I guess I was guilty about bailing on my friend make me worrisome. I definitely should do better time management next time before I commit to a friend's plan.

No comments: