Friday, October 21, 2005

Technical Support

A friend called me the other day and told me she lost internet connection for no reason. Since I was free after work today, I gave her a call and see if she still wanted me to go over and take a look. I already told her I was never good at fixing computer and most likely, I would go over and "certify" her computer's death. Apparently her boyfriend still hasn't fixed the problem after two day of struggling. So I went over, had my free dinner, and then up to her room and diagnose her computer.

So what happened? Oh, the router and the adapter died. And did you try another router? Okay, you did but it didn't work. And try installing different network card too? So now you tried to get the wireless network going? But your computer can't detect the wireless connection even though the router just right outside your room? Have you tried connecting directly to the wireless router? You don't have a cable? Get your boyfriend over. Okay, now you install the network card back into the computer and try with the cable. And Viola, it works! So the problem was with your long cable. I am so smart. What do you mean you don't want to change your long cable! Fine, you have connection now, you can leave all the cable flying around your house. Who cares?! It will become part of decoration anyway. I don't know how to fix the wireless network. I told you that already. Well, I already had my free meal and you got your connection back. I done my part. Ciao!

I had this conversation with my back lying on my friend's back, slaving her boyfriend to do this and that. I think I start getting very good at delegation. Wahahaha!

1 comment:

iTripped said...

Hi Viv, here's your first non-spam comment on this article.

I think you are becoming well suited for management. You already seem to have strong delegation skills, and you certainly can prioritize (eat first, work later) and even demonstrated that you can support crappy decisions (keep the long cable, it works now).

You might be just what Blackboard is looking for in their management team.