Monday, October 31, 2005

Climbing

It has been awhile since I went climbing. Last time I went may be a year ago. I don't even want to think how much I bad I climb nowaday. I was planning to go climbing with a friend tonight. She just had her lesson last week. The lesson included a free week pass and she planned to take advantage of that tonight. She needed to take her test before she can belay me. When we put on our equipment and ready to try, the instructor said she failed and she had to come back another time. We were shocked to hear that. At first she thought he was joking but he looked pretty serious. Apparently she should have put the beamer below the belay device (I don't know how to explain it better if you don't climb, just one piece of equipment should be on top of the other and now the rope kind of strangle together) and as her partner, I should be able to spot her (which I didn't cause I almost never use beamer) So she can't belay me that night. Since I passed the test long time ago, we could still stay but she is the only one who can climb. We figure we may as well both get refund and come back another day. When we went to the reception and asked for a refund, the girl was shocked to hear that. She asked what do you mean you didn't pass. We explained what we did wrong, but she seemed to be still shocked about it. The guy came over and explained and said we have to come back another day. While my friend waited for the refund, I went to change. My friend told me apparently the girl was still surprised and kept saying what is wrong with that guy. I later explain to my friend that last time I had another friend fail the test too. But the instructor let us climb for the rest of the day to practice. At the end, the instructor passed my friend. It was kind of ridiculous that this time the guy just said we can't climb anymore that night. How on earth she going to practice! Well, at least we got our money back and we went to exercise our stomach instead.

No comments: