Monday, March 14, 2005

Computerless Days Finally Over!

After more than 400 days of lack in touch with cyber world, my dad finally got his computer back and working, thanks to ME! (who know someone who can fix it :P) I know having a computer science degree and not able to fix a system sound bad, but I did spend sometime with it and I can't get it working. My dad's computer is just too old and I can't get the wireless card working. See, everything will live happily ever after if they want to stick with the cable. But no, my mom said it looked ugly with cable running around the house and they want wireless. (I have cable running across my living room and I don't see what is the big deal about it. Eventually you will grow to accept the fact that is part of the decoration. :P) Being a computer science graduate, I did try to install the wireless card myself. I mean it is all plug and play these days. How hard could that be! After I violently jammed the PCI card into the slot, the computer first make weird noise and then just doesn't feel like turn on. I took it out and put it in again and again, but same thing happen. That is the point I gave up and hand my dad's computer to my friend. He quickly find that my violently way of installing network card make my video card become loose. He fixed that and upgraded the computer with a bunch of hardware part that he can find. But it still took him a while to get the wireless network going in my parents' place. My dad can finally lock himself in the room again. :)

No comments: