Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Alienation

"To boldly go where no one has ever gone before." I am not sure if any of you are Star Trek fans. Though I am not a total geek, I did watch quite a bit of Star Trek when I was young. I kept hearing Captain Picard's voice in my head today. This is my first day after my desk moved upstairs. To those of you who don't work with me, my company separate developers (downstairs) and support (upstairs) in two floors. Upstairs is a foreign and scary place to developers. I almost never went upstairs (unless there is food). I talked to support on email-only basis (unless they came downstairs to hunt me down). Now being physically up there is a traumatic experience. It felt very weird walking around 2nd floor. I don't know most of the people in support. I have a feeling people may think I am new, but I probably have been with the company longer than any of them. And the water machine with hot water is on the other end of the floor. Everytime I walk out to get water, I felt so stressful. I avoided eye contact with people. I felt like as if I just started with this company. I am thinking may be I will bring a big water bottle so I could minimize number of times I walk across the floor. Or else I may get scared to get water and die of dehydration. My friend said it took awhile to get used to. I guess when I start working on my new position, I would work more closely with support and would feel less awkward among them.

No comments: