Monday, June 20, 2005

MC

Survived thru another friend's wedding today. This time, I ain't the wedding party, but I was the MC for the dinner. From the very beginning, I wasn't sure I am up for the job. I knew I ain't very good public speaker. Back when I was in school and did my presentation, I would get nervous and would speak faster and faster and eventually no one would understand me. Though my friend kept saying I would be fine, I wasn't sure. Having two nights of insomnia, I knew I was getting nervous. It didn't hit me till when we were getting ready, we seem to miss out a whole bunch of details. I started to get very nervous. I knew I was all tense up. When we finally turned on our mike, I could hear my voice trembling. I have to breath very hard to calm myself. Some of my friends complaint to me later that night that I didn't translate enough. I didn't know how to translate some of more traditional Chinese saying. So I decide to skip it instead. But I did a major screw up. When doing the introduction for the bride and groom, I mentioned that the bride would get her CGA end of last year, but it should be this year. Anyone would think it is not a big deal, but apparently it is. Cause some of her coworkers were there and it was bad to make such a mistake. I felt so bad when the groom told me I had to correct it. Later on, when the game started, it felt smoother. At least I didn't need to do a word to word translation, and just went with the flow. I didn't have to worry about missing translating any part. I guess next time if another poor should asked me to do MC, I should have prepare more.

2 comments:

gwilli said...

to me, you WERE the wedding party, viv!! w00t!!

erinator said...

you did an awesome job viv. i didn't know you had missed any translations until ed complained. talk about whiners! ;)

now when one of my lights stopped working... i thought i was going to have a heart attack.