Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Animation Obsession

Got suck back to animation again thanks to some evil people. I am always a big fan of Japanese animation. But my obsession depends on my suppliers. If no one gave me anything, my obsession would slow down and I would actually stop watching it for awhile. I was talking to another friend and apparently he is a big fan too. We were talking about the series that we watched and apparently I am a bit out of date. There are quite a bit that I haven't watched or even heard of. He said he would lend me the new Ghost in the Shell series. And then yesterday another friend actually lent it to me without me even asking. I fell back to my obsession all over again. It is very different than the movie. I think I like the movie better, but the series is not bad, except that I really really don't like the main character's uniform. I bet it is to please male fan. My favorite one is still the Legend of Galactic Heroes (sorry guys, I am not sure you can find an English subtitled version. It was an old animation. And the only copy I have is Japanese with Chinese subtitled.). I actually first read the novel and fell in love with it. It was sooo well written by Yoshiki Tanaka. The story is nicely plotted and the characters are well developed. I became so obsessed with the novel and when I found out there is an animation, I quickly looked for it to watch. I loved it too (but may be I was biased but I think it is good!) My favorite character is Yang Wenli (the guy in the picture). He is not cute or anything. He is actually a bit clumsy. As described in the book, he is pretty much useless except the brain. But I really really liked him. He is still one of my favorite after all these years. I actually cried when I read that he died in the novel (well, I was young then, but I still felt sad reading it now). Another animator that I liked the best is Hayao Miyazaki. I loved his work. I simply liked anything done by him, from more kid stuff like My Neighbor Totoro to more dark stuff like Princess Mononoke. Even other animation from his studio is really good too. There are a lot of others that I really like too. But most of them are old. Hehehe, I guess I have to bug my suppliers more.

PS. I remembered I was reading a manga called The Earring of Moonlight long time ago but never finish (cause my supplier ran away). If anyone know where to find one, please let me know.

6 comments:

Endless Drool said...

Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex gets much better as the show goes on. I think the story is definitely better than the second GITS movie.

As for Legend of Galactic Heroes, check this out... http://a.scarywater.net/ca/

FiSHBoY said...

Actually Eric, if you have the metal box set of GitS: SAC, it's exciting all the way through. Heehee. ;)

Endless Drool said...

Damn you, Jason... I lend you the show, so you can watch it as soon as it comes out, then you go buy it for cheaper as the box set in the fancy metal box comes out AND you rub it in... grrrrr..... GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

FiSHBoY said...

Don't hate the playa, hate the game!

iTripped said...

Heh. Holly has the same complaint about GitS. She can't figure out why all the guys are dressed in trenchcoats and the main character runs around in a leotard and knee high boots.

gwilli said...

cuz she's a sexy ass kickin lady robot cop, of course. it's more those other naked ladies she hangs out in bedrooms of, that perplexes me.

by the way, I finished the next episodes, viv. grab 'em from eric tomorrow.