Monday, August 29, 2005

Kayaking

Went on a kayak trip with some friends on the weekend. It is the first time I went on kayak camp so I was a bit nervous. I don't even know how to pack. The capsize practice made me feel a bit better cause I know what to expect in case a kayak flipped. But I still not keen on falling into cold sea water. The first day was a bit windy. So the water is a bit rough. I must look pretty worried so my friend put me in a bigger kayak. So it was pretty stable, though it took more work to move the kayak. But I sure don't mind. I always have a feeling that I don't do much paddling. It was the guy at the back who do all the work. I just sat there and pretend I am paddling as well. Since I don't know what to expect from the trip, I thought it would be like backcountry camping. We would paddle to some island with nothing on it and camp there. Apparently I was wrong. The campsite we went to is pretty develop. Well, at least it has fresh water and a toilet (come on, of course not a flush toilet). But having fresh water is already out of our expectation. Only thing we worry about is water supply on kayak trip and half of our gear is water tank. Another thing I worried about is I have to hold my bladder for 6 hours. I thought we would paddle for so long that my bladder would explode. Worried about going washroom, I may end up dehydrating myself or having a sun stroke. Good that we usually paddle for 2-3 hours and we would land on and island. I just had to make sure I don't dehydrate myself. This time I don't need to share tent with anyone. It was awesome. I could roll around without worrying waking up people. I can throw all my stuff around and as messy in the tent as I want. I sure had fun this trip.

No comments: