Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Movie Night

I watched two movies lately. I went to watch Mr & Mrs Smith on the weekend. Despite all the bad comment I heard about it, I actually quite enjoy it. May be I was biased because I really like Angelina Jolie. But I think the movie entertained me enough. For sure the plot is lame and something doesn't make sense. But I had fun watching it. Tonight I watched a Japanese animation Steamboy. It is from the director of Akira. I haven't heard of it till today. I did some quick search and some people said it is the "best" animation released in North America. Turn out I don't really like it. He put his message very explicit. He should have just display that on screen if he was afraid people would miss his message. That may be less annoying. He overdid the movie and made it kind of annoying. The characters are not interesting at all. I still like Miyazaki's work way better. While trying to deliver his message thru the movie, his movie is still pretty fun to watch. And his work has a lot of diversity too. It can be dark like Princess Mononoke or fun like Totoro. Seem like I usually enjoy the movie better if I have low expectation. If everyone told me it suck, usually I would walk out and thinking it is not that bad. But if people told me it is a great movie, I usually come out not satisfied. May be I expect more from it and it usually just a normal good movie. Next time, I definitely walk in the theatre expecting it is going to waste my 2 hours and hopefully it will have a great turnout.

No comments: