Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Stabbed!

When I took this position, I knew that dealing with people would be the hardest part of the job. I used to sit in my cubicle and worried about my own project. Coordinating people is always complicated. And I know that probably is worse part of my position. But I want to learn and I know if I want to move up, I need to know that. I guess I should really learn how to deal with people without getting emotionally involved. I thought we did the best we can to work on the customers issue last week. I guess I could have cancelled my trip to Seattle, but I don't know what I could have done if things really not working. Apparently things did break down on weekend, and luckily some people deal with the problem. On our recap yesterday, everything seem still fine. But today, suddenly people blew up at us, not at me particularly. But since I handled the project, it became partly my fault. I knew there is some process we could do better. But getting yell at in a meeting on how slow development's response made me stunned to say anything. I looked at my manager and we both tried not to say anything. Cause the meeting have other people and I don't think it was good idea to yell at each other. We could have worked something out. Though I disagree with some of the claim, I did admit to them that it was my fault that I didn't realize I should notify QA on Thursday when I found out the problem. It may give them more time to find people to work on weekend. But some other claims, I wanted to disagree badly but I know it would end up like pointing finger at each other instead of working constructively to streamline the process. I didn't feel particular bad about the whole situation cause I know I was learning something each time. Besides, my manager thought I did a good job handling the whole situation when I am still fairly new. That is all the matters.

2 comments:

John Wu said...

You should let them know that you disagree with some of the claims. finger pointing is not the solution but some constructive feedback is a plus.

zoom...zoom...zoom...

gwilli said...

a term you should learn is "dooce"

careful what you are saying to the world. it could all come back at ya.