Monday, July 18, 2005

Screw Up! Big Time!

I screwed up big time today at work! A customer requested an urgent hotfix and I made one on Friday. QA did some preliminary test on Friday but wanted to do a more thorough test today. We were pretty confident that everything seems fine and should be released to the customer sometimes around noon. But right before then, a support manager just out of curiosity and looked at the hotfix and found out at that I missed out something. That is when I turned in panic mode. The coworker who made the build for the hotfix isn't around so I can't even hack my way around. We have to start everything from scratch. And the time estimate to redo the hotfix is 2-3 hours. That would put us in a very tight schedule if we hoped to release that to customer. And we are being optimistic that the screw up is only on my part, the developer fixed the issue correctly. After a whole bunch of time evaluation, we told support that we "hoped" to release that tonight but tried not to be too optimistic (hehehe, I had my friends helped me to write a diplomatic email) I felt very bad because I kept screwing up when making hotfixes. I know I am still fairly new on the position. But because of my screw up, my friend in QA needed to work OT and I knew he wasn't very happy about it. And he couldn't even yell at my screw up (may be because I gave him that pathetic look). I know people said I shouldn't be too hard on myself. But I want to get up to speed sooner!

No comments: