Friday, May 27, 2005

Alone

Warning: If you are going to watch the Chinese movie Yesterday Once More, don't read this blog. If you read it, you are not allowed to yell at me for disclosing the ending.

If you are going to die, would you tell the people you love? Or would you prepare them financially and then go hide and not let them know you are dying? I watched this movie tonight. The main guy, Andy, was dying of cancer. He hid this fact from his wife, Sammi. He divorced her for some dumb reason. Later when they played poker, Andy pretended to lost all his money to Sammi and had all his property transferred to her and went hiding to die. Meanwhile, he arranged something to make Sammi believed that he still alive but went hiding. In the end, it was very sad. He died alone and she was hopeful. I don't know if that is right or wrong thing to do. Dying alone is a very sad thing. Though I don't want my family and friends to be sad about my leaving, I don't think I want them to never know what happen. That not knowing feeling, that slight hope that keep you waiting, may be the worst feeling. I am not sure if he is doing it for his own good or hers. He is being considerate for her financially, but he is selfish for keeping her emotionally. I don't know if it happen to me, do I want my husband to be that. The slightest hope that you hold onto makes you wait. I don't know how long that last.

1 comment:

gwilli said...

do you have this movie? can I borrow it? I didn't read the blog.